from The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra
Conscious change is brought about by the two qualities inherent in consciousness: attention and intention. Attention energises, and intention transforms. Whatever you put your attention on will grow stronger in your life. Whatever you take your attention away from will wither, disintegrate and disappear. Intention, on the other hand, triggers transformation of energy and information. Intention organises its own fulfilment. The quality of intention on the object of attention will orchestrate and infinity of space-time events to bring about the intended outcome…
What is remarkable about the nervous system of the human species is that it can command this infinite organising power through conscious intent. Intent in the human species is not fixed or locked into a rigid network of energy and information. It has infinite flexibility. In other words, as long as you do not violate the other laws of nature, through your intent you can literally command the laws of nature to fulfill your dreams. You can put the cosmic computer with its infinite organising power to work for you. You can go to that ultimate ground of creation and introduce an intention, and just by introducing the intention, you activate the field of infinite correlation. Intention lays the groundwork for the effortless, frictionless flow of pure potentiality seeking expression from the unmanifest to the manifest. The only caution is that you must use your intent for the benefit of mankind.
Intention is the real power behind desire. Intent alone is very powerful, because intent is desire without the attachment to the outcome. Desire alone is weak, because desire in most people is attention with attachment. Intent is desire with strict adherence to all other laws but particularly to the law of detachment. Intention combined with detachment leads to life-centred, present moment awareness. And when action is performed in present-moment awareness it os most effective. Your intent is for the future, but your attention is in the present. As long as your attention is in the present, then your intent for the future will manifest, because the future is created in the present. You must accept the present as is.
If you have life centred, present-moment awareness, then the imaginary obstacles disintegrate and disappear. The remaining obstacles can be transmuted into opportunities through one-pointed intention. One-pointed intention is that quality of attention that is unbending in its fixity of purpose. One-pointed intention means holding your attention to the intended outcome with such unbending purpose that you absolutely refuse to allow obstacles to consume and dissipate the focused quality of your attention. You can still get results through trying, but at a cost of stress, heart attacks and the compromised function of your immune system. It so much better to execute the following five steps in the Law of Intention and Desire.
1. Slip into the gap. This means to centre yourself in that silent space between thoughts, to go into the silence – that level of being which is your essential state.
2. Established in that state of being, release your intentions and desires. When you are actually in the gap, there’s no thought, there’s no intention, but as you come out of the gap – at the junction between the gap and a thought – you introduce the intention. If you have a series of goals, you can write them down, and have your intention focussed on them before you go into the gap. If you want a successful career, for example, you go into the gap with that intention, and the intention will already be there as a faint flicker in your awareness. Releasing your intentions and desires into the gap means planting them in the fertile ground of pure potentiality and expecting them to bloom when the season is right. You do not want to dig up the seeds of your desires to see if they are growing or get rigidly attached to the way in which they will unfold. You simply want to release them.
3. Remain in the state of self-referral. This means remain established in the awareness of your true self – your spirit, your connection to the field of pure potentiality. It also means not to look at yourself through the eyes of the world, or allow yourself to be influenced by the opinions and criticisms of others. A helpful way to maintain that state of self referral is to keep your desires to yourself; do not share them with anyone else unless they share the exact same desires that you have and are closely bonded with you.
4. Relinquish your attachment to the outcome. This means giving up your rigid attachment to a specific result and living in the wisdom of uncertainty. It means enjoying every moment in the journey of your life, even if you don’t know the outcome.
5. Let the universe handle the details. Your intentions and desires, when released in the gap, have infinite organising power. Trust that infinite organising power of intention to orchestrate all the details for you.
Remember that your true nature is one of pure spirit. Carry the consciousness of your spirit wherever you go, gently release your desires, and the universe will handle the details for you.
The sixth spiritual law of success is the Law of detachment. The Law of detachment says that in order to acquire anything in the physical universe, you have to relinquish your attachment to it. This doesn’t mean you give up the intention to create your desire. You don’t give up the intention and you don’t give up the desire. You give up your attachment to the result. This is a very powerful thing to do. The moment you relinquish your attachment to the result, combining one-pointed intention with detachment at the same time, you will have that which you desire. Anything you want can be acquired through detachment, because detachment is based on the unquestioning power of your true Self. Uncertainty is the fertile ground of pure creativity and freedom. Uncertainty means stepping into the unknown in every moment of our existence. The unknown is the field of all possibilities, ever fresh, ever new, always open to the creation of new manifestations. Relinquish your attachment to the known, step into the unknown, and you will step into the field of all possibilities. In your willingness to step into the unknown you will have the wisdom of uncertainty factored in. This means that in every moment of your life, you will have excitement, adventure, mystery. You will experience the fun of life- the magic, the celebration, the exhilaration, and the exultation of your own spirit.
Creating with Spirit
While at one level we can block our creative ability. There is a way to tap into the creative power of the universe that is unstoppable. It is important to be still and quiet. Nothing is wasted. Nothing should get in the way of the flow. Open minded, still minded. Mindful, the mind full of useless activity is quietened to make way for more creative thought. All thought is creative but creativity requires positive action, to open and free the creative element.
Creativity of the mind is not just idle thought. The mind is powerful and idle thought will add to other idle thoughts, idle words to other idle words, but this is not the mind at its most powerful, it is the mind aimlessly and thoughtlessly creating without direction. The mind can create more dynamically, but it must be directed and controlled. Start with a positive creative thought, but it needs to become reality. It can become reality in two ways, firstly through our human activity, which is how most of the world operates. Companies buy our creative power. They buy our creativity. They use our minds to create their business, directing many minds to the same purpose. The more successful businesses focus people’s minds on the same goal.
The other way of creating with a positive thought is to give it to Spirit, to let Spirit have it to create a positive action in line with the highest good. Spirit will create the circumstance and the opportunity for a positive thought to become reality. It might, and certainly will, require some positive action on the behalf of the creator, to show willingness, but the universe will create. To give a thought to Spirit, be very clear what it is, because Spirit will make it happen. Be positive and clear. It is not something to hide away amid a jumble of other thoughts. Give up expectation, Spirit will only create for the highest good, if it does not add to our experience, growth or purpose, Spirit will not waste our time. Hold onto positive action. Hold it firmly in the mind, not just at the moment of asking but beyond so that we confirm the meaningful nature of the request, the creative thought. Do not waver. Take what opportunities arise. Do not ask, create and then ignore the result.
The difference in the approaches to creativity is in the nature of the result. It is about the usefulness and the purpose of the creation. Spirit will only create in line with the highest good, it will ignore those requests which do not add to the world and its growth along the spiritual journey. Our own creativity will create anything, positive or negative, unstructured and unbounded. We do not know with our human mind the benefit or purpose of anything we create. We do not know if it benefits or withdraws from our human progress. We unwittingly add to the demise of the world, we create the problems we need to uncreate. We end up creating more activity to try to repair the damage we caused by creating in the first place. Our creations are usually well intentioned. Our purpose is rarely harmful but the results are unwittingly so.
Use creativity in a positive way. Learn to create with Spirit. The greater our positive creativity, the more successful the world will be in achieving its goals. Success follows spiritual creativity because we know that the purpose is approved. Let Spirit be alongside when we create. Let it grow naturally, there is no rush, no need to be grandiose, every small step in the right direction is better than all the giant leaps in the wrong one. Spirit is endlessly working for positive goals, to help us to move in the right direction. The steps of Spirit will overcome the rest because only Spirit will remain focused and successful and Spirit operates in all of us. But we can slow down our success by creating of our mind without Spirit. It is only time that is in question, not the result. Success is guaranteed.
Exercise – Changing Your Mind
Earlier in the course we did an exercise to recognise our judgements, becoming more aware about when we judge other people and other situations. We are now going to extend that awareness by bringing our judgements into our awareness and becoming more conscious about what we therefore create as a result. Every time we find ourselves about to criticise others, then try to pause for a few moments and give yourself the opportunity to change your mind. Try to be centred, as you were for last months empathic listening exercise. Try to find a positive response, but sometimes just pausing and saying nothing is enough. Often it is better to say nothing than to increase negativity.
Two things are important to remember. Firstly we are not judging ourselves for negative thoughts, this is about recognition and awareness and not about being critical of yourself. Secondly, you are choosing what to say, this means that you may choose to be critical, accept this as a valid alternative. Remember what you think and say about others, reinforces that belief about yourself. This is not only an exercise in what we say but also in what we think. When you become aware of a negative thought, then again pause and give yourself the opportunity to change your mind. If you do effectively cancel the previous thought and create a new more positive one.
Exercise – Affirmations
Adapted from the Artists Way
The following affirmations affirm your right to the practice of positive creativity. Select five affirmations and work with them for a week. I am a talented person
I have a right to be successful
I am a good person and a good artist
Creativity is a blessing I accept
My creativity blesses others
My creativity is appreciated
I now treat myself and my creativity more gently
I now treat myself and my creativity more generously
I now share my creativity more openly
I now accept hope
I now act affirmatively
I now allow myself to heal
I now accept God’s help unfolding my life
I now believe God loves me
Exercise – Applying the Law of Intention and desire
From the Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra
I will put the Law of Intention and Desire into effect by making a commitment to take the following steps:
1. I will make a list of all my desires. I will carry this list with me wherever I go. I will look at this list before I go into my silence and meditation. I will look at it before I go to sleep at night. I will look at it when I wake up in the morning.
2. I will release this list of my desires and surrender it to the womb of creation, trusting that when things don’t seem to go my way, there is a reason, and that the cosmic plan has designs for me much grander than even those that I have conceived.
3. I will remind myself to practice present-moment awareness in all my actions. I will refuse to allow obstacles to consume and dissipate the quality of my attention in the present moment. I will accept the present at it is, and manifest the future through my deepest, most cherished intentions and desires.